Today Adithi mentioned that she was hungry and she had been asking for a pizza for quite some time. However, I cannot make a pizza in a short time. Scanning the refrigerator and pantry there was not much I could offer. There was bread but she did not want sandwiches. So, I offered to make her a bread-pizza and she agreed. Typically, I make a vegan "cheese" with silken tofu or cashews but I had neither in pantry but had pistachios though. I might try making a "cheese" with pistachios. I forewarned that the "cheese" will be greenish and she was ok. Wondering what hunger can do.
- Bread (I used whole wheat) - 3 slices
For vegan cheese
- Pistachios, shelled - 1 cup
- Flax seed powder - 1 tbsp
- All purpose flour - 1 tbsp
- Nutritional yeast - 1 tsp / Garlic 1/2 pod (optional)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Water, warm - 1/2 cup
- Tomatoes, chopped - 1
- Onion, chopped - 1/2
- Olives - 1/2 cup
- Banana peppers - 1/2 cup
- Soak the dry ingredients for the cheese in 1/2 cup warm water for about 10-15 minutes.
- Grind the ingredients for the cheese in a mixer grinder to a fine paste. Add water if the consistency is too thick.
- Lay the slices of bread on a baking pan.
- Spread the cheese on the bread. (If I had had some tomato based sauce or pesto I would have added it here before the cheese.)
- Put the toppings on the cheese.
- Place the tray on middle rack and put the oven on broil under low setting for about 10-15 minutes or until the "cheese" browns or the vegetable show signs of browning.
- Serve hot!
I wonder if I had added one more tbsp of flour or flax seeds it would have turned with a more cheesy texture. Perhaps, tapioca flour might help. I did not have a tomato sauce to make it more like a traditional pizza. Nevertheless, I should try the next time with real pizza dough instead of bread. As for the quality report, Adithi as a lacto-vegetarian, found it good. I liked it too.